how babka bread teaches you determination

Sometimes, when the craving strikes, it strikes hard.


That's right - I got a silpat mat. We fancy over here.

Kapara woke up one morning and proclaimed that he would punch an old lady if he could have babka bread right then and there. Since babka bread did not magically appeared before us, an old lady somewhere was safe for the time being. I lamented that I was too lazy to bake...this was partially true. I needed to mentally prepare myself for such a task. 

Be the dough, be one with the dough. Trust the process...


Ugh, so supple beneath my fingertips...

In kneading the dough, I learned I needed to trust the dough. In finding the right balance between water and flour, I found more of myself. 

Trust your instincts my gut tells me. Don't let anything or anyone else tell you if it's ready or not. 

At one point, I wondered whether I was kneading babka bread or kneading an aspect of myself toward something better. Obvs, it was the latter! Life is metaphorical in the way..or so we make it seem at least. 

Determined with a day off from work, I set about preparing, kneading, and proofing dough that'll become babka bread. I followed the recipe from Food & Wine, and tweaked the final product. You just gotta make do with what you got. And I certainly had Nutella but zero nuts. Semi-sweet chocolate chips for swirl. I need to work on my honey syrup coating - my guess is that it needed to sit over heat longer so it can become more viscous. 

The hardest part was waiting for it to bake. Next time, I will lower the rack so the top doesn't cook faster than the middle (wow, such a beginner's mistake but that's alrite, I forgive myself.) I should also be generous with the Nutella. I don't know what I was thinking...is there even such a thing as TOO MUCH Nutella? Nutella lovers would say no. Those who are lactose intolerant or just plain ol' Nutella haters might say yes. Err on the side of Nutella next time. Always Krystal. Always. 



The picture doesn't do it justice, and I was so eager, I forgot to take a picture of the circular braided one.  What was the last craving you had, and what did you do about it? 

Comments