understanding your pain-body to remove limiting beliefs

You are not your emotions.

You are not your thoughts.

You are not your actions.

What are you, then?

Who are you, then?


DOWN MEMORY LANE
I remember maybe a year ago, I had a conversation with my younger sister about religion and spirituality. I'd always considered myself agnostic and so, I didn't identify with any particular religion. I don't know a lot about the differences even though I took a college-level course about world religions. My limited mind at the time wasn't ready to explore religion and spirituality.

However, I found myself feeling drawn to spiritual literature as I became more engrossed with yoga. I wanted to know more. And yet, with everything I read, I seem to know less.

AN ACT OF KINDESS
I recently picked up A New Earth from a kind stranger's home. I was already thinking about the ego and how it impacts our daily lives thanks to having finished The Anatomy of the Spirit by Caroline Myss, so when A New Earth happened upon me, I knew it was meant to be.

So, how can we quiet our limiting beliefs so that we can listen to our souls, and ultimately, follow our hearts? Eckhart Tolle describes the ego as "an identification with thoughts", obviously our own thoughts. Your ego thrives on your thoughts. It especially loves the toxic, negative thoughts because they weaken you, making you more susceptible to the control of your ego.

WHAT'S A PAIN-BODY?
Did you know you also have a pain-body in addition to the ego? It is old emotional pain that you carry around in your body. It may also include generational trauma, so if your ancestors endured any pain or suffering (and everyone experiences pain and suffering - some more so than others and to varying degrees), their reactive emotions to those experiences become absorbed by your body. From conception, you carry a pain-body, and emotional pain gets added when you experience conflicts or pain through your parents' interations or your surrounding family's conflicts.

If you're anything like me, something seemingly small triggers an emotional response in you that you can't shake off. No matter how many minutes you meditate for, no matter how many miles you run. Somehow, you just can't shake *that* feeling of UGHHH. Of WANTING to wallow in that misery even though you know it's no good for you. I recently had an episode that like, and I couldn't shake it off even though I'd done all the self-care things I usually do. Even my spouse's kiss on my forehead didn't rid of that feeling. It wasn't until I read the chapter of "The Pain-Body" and realized that I was still harboring sadnessresentmentthefeelingofbeingforgotten from one small and yet totally memorable experience when my stepdad forgot ONE time to go eat breakfast with me.

STEPS TO NURTURE PAIN-BODY
If you've been in this situation before, I encourage you to take out your journal (if you don't have one, it's never too late to start one!). I wrote a letter to my stepdad wherein I acknowledged the experience, and then I expressed my gratitude for all the other wonderful meals that we've shared together. I wanted to re-condition my mind to let go of that experience because it was no longer serving me. That past experience was preventing me from living in the present moment.

You see, silence and ignorance allow any negative experience to fester and grow unbeknownst to your conscious. Its cancerous nature drains your capability to quiet the mind and arrive to an inner state of Being. By acknowledging it, you take away its power to ruminate in your body. By expressing gratitude towards it, you destroy its very roots, ergo, its hold on you. The change won't happen instantaneously so if you are "waiting" for it to go away, you have missed the point.

The point is to acknowledge it and let it go. You have breathed life into this experience and re-conditioned this part of your mind. Depending on the severity this emotion has on you, the quicker or longer it will take for your pain-body to release it.

Keep trying though. Resist the urge to dwell on the past. For the past has already passed, and there's nothing more to do. Focus on what you can do this moment right now.

Let's take a deep inhale, honoring the acknowledgement of the experience the pain-body has absorbed.
As you exhale, release the hold that the experience has on you. Let it go.

Simply breathe, and you'll be okay.

Bises,
bb.

Comments