Feature Friday: Simple Ayurveda Podcast

Do you believe you were put here on earth for one reason, and one reason only? And it's to do what you're doing right now?

How would you feel?

What does ayurveda have to do with life's purpose? Ayurveda is the sister science to yoga. A harmonious duo. It's about being present and awareness of your biological reactions to your surroundings and what you're consuming. It's a constant dance of living a balanced and holistic life.
Angela Perger Simple Ayurveda Podcast
Angela Perger's guide to ayurveda

Angela Perger is the person behind the mic of this podcast. Her idea to simplify ancient science in relatable and applicable terms is what drew me in. I've listened to a couple episodes so far, but the most recent one really struck me. It was about finding your dharma.

What's dharma? Your dharma has to do with your purpose in life. It was a Q&A session, about how Angela understands her dharma. She says your dharma doesn't have to be an accountant (a.k.a. your job or occupation), but maybe your dharma's reflected in how you perform the work at being an accountant. Rather, it's dependent on how, and not what. 

Angela also helped me remember that I can define yoga for myself. It doesn't always have to be 60 minutes. It could be 15-30, so long as it meets my needs. I don't have to let society's standards dictate how long I should practice for.

What're some limiting beliefs you have about yoga, if any? Working on your inner self is a continuous practice. It's important to remember that - you might get tired, and want to quit. Focus on fostering your dharma. 

STRATEGIES TO FINDING YOUR DHARMA
  • Pay attention to the things that excite you, no matter how simple or small you think it is
  • Notice any talents or skills or things that interest you and learn more about it
  • Consider what kind of lifestyle you would like to live: what're you currently doing? What're some things you'd like to do? 
  • Think about what you truly want. Not your mom, your sister, your grandma, your significant other. Spend some quality time alone and discover new hobbies. You'll get the serenity to decide what you really want to do. 
Angela mentioned these strategies to finding your dharma. For me, it's exercising (yoga, lifting weights, swimming), reading, cooking, and writing that brings me joy. I'd like to live a simple life, travel to different nature places with my family, live on a farm, surrounded by nature, tending to my own garden. I like to create things with my hands, even if I think they look amateurish.

Honing in on these things that excite us or bring us joy and fulfillment ignites fire and passion in our souls. If you find yourself wandering without a focus, lacking energy and interest, I implore you to join the Conscious Movement and spend some time with yourself. It's hard to look ourselves in the mirror (at least it is for me), but I'm learning that I need to accept all of me: the good, the bad, and the ugly. Put it all under a microscope and then sit with it. Accept and move on!

It's all part of being human. 
simple ayurveda podcast pinterest
Photo by Lisa Hobbs on Unsplash
What about you? What're your thoughts on dharma? Do you feel like you understand what your dharma is? Take some time to journal, listen to this podcast, or write to me below. I'm always intrigued by others' journeys in being awake. If you're looking for someone to talk to about this, count on me! 

Comments