What is Plastic May Never Die: Day 1 of the Plastic Truth

WHAT'S THIS PLASTIC-FREE MOVEMENT?

I'm one of those people who have a lot of ideas and projects they want to do but somehow, only 70% of them actually get seen to the end. The other 30% gets to see a project or a challenge completed or accomplished. My current endeavor is to collect all the plastic I use in a normal week.

I invite you to join me! Either by collecting your plastic waste in a week and then analyzing its contents to make objective observations about your consumerism habits, or checking back on the blog to see how my journey is going (tip: you can subscribe at the top!)

WHY COLLECT PLASTIC?
plastic-free by Beth Terry
borrow a copy
from your local lib!

Maybe like you, I think I'm doing okay refusing the use of plastics, but one can always do more. My sister lent me Plastic-Free by Beth Terry, and I was piqued by one of her challenges. To collect your plastic waste for one week and analyze them for any trends or patterns. Also looking to see whether a specific purchase was necessary and how I can reduce the amount of plastic for next time. I know right away I need something to carry my produce and fruits in, but I'm hesitant to spend money on something like beeswax paper (I question the sustainability of this  - isn't there a campaign to save the bees?) So, that's out of the question for me.

Perhaps something silicone-based...whatever I decide, I have the best resource around!

CONFESSION

A day before I was awakened, I had purchased a 32-bottle Gatorade pack for my spouse. After I scrutinized my kitchen some more, I realized I could've gotten a tub of Gatorade powder with a few different flavors to keep instead. So, I'll go that route once my spouse finishes the pack, which I'll drop them off at a responsibly recycling plant (there's one not too far from me!). And oh my gosh, I didn't even tell you yet.

My heart kinda sunk when I found out. This apartment complex we moved into after hauling our life over from NYC, this 400+ apartments-gigantua of a complex does not recycle.

Let that sink in a little. Imagine the amount of waste that's being dragged into these blue dumpsters. Sometimes when I walk with Elsie, our Pitbull Terrier mixed, we see so much trash splayed out in front of the dumpster trucks because there's no more space on top. Essentially, there's too much trash, and not enough space to put it. Moreover, cardboard, glass bottles, and aluminum cans are all intermingled with expired foods, pet waste, and e-waste with some furniture on top.

PART-WRITER, PART...ACTIVIST?

I'm feeling motivated to speak up at the leasing office, but I gotta be honest, I'm a bit nervous about it. Just brainstorming off the top of my head:
1. survey my neighbors and ask about their opinions on the garbage culture here
2. see if they'll rally behind this recycling idea and recycle accordingly if we had the appropriate dumpsters (after all, what's the point if the community isn't on board, and instead uses the other dumpsters irresponsibly?)
3. meet with the leasing office to see if the city or the recycling plant nearby would be able to drop off dumpsters designated for recycled materials (they must provide clear instructions on what materials they accept)
4. spread awareness about the (harmful) presence of plastic in our lives

Am I nuts? I must be. And that's okay. Sometimes you have to do crazy things to get stuff done.

THE GOODS

day 1 of plastic-free collection from Beth Terry's Plastic-Free
Day 1's contents

  • A few produce baggies
  • salsa dip (store-bought)
  • cashew nut dip (masquerading as vegan cheese)
  • instant coffee lid
  • two contact lens (dailies)
  • a plastic thing from the dishwasher pod tub that you tear off to open it for the first time
  • 2 plastic baggies of pet waste (not pictured for obvious reasons 😋)
REFLECTION

I've been wanting to find something to buy my produce and fresh fruits in. I'm hesitant to go out and buy the latest product. I want to see if there's a more sustainable options like DIY options of turning your t-shirts into baggies, but I wonder how hygenic that would be? Do you do something differently when you buy your produce and fresh fruits? Thinking back to the days before plastic was invented, people probably just put them all in one market basket or the like. 

However, I did buy a silicone product to replace those plastic ziplock bags. My husband brings sandwiches to work for lunch and he was wanting some ziplock bags. I couldn't bring myself to buy a 500-ct box and so, a Stasher purchase was made! 

CONCLUSION

Well, day one's contents seem okay. Not too shabby. Day two though...ohhh boy...

How'd your day one collection go? Was there anything that stood out to you in terms of your habits?
If you're not quite sold yet, what do you think about the movement of going plastic free? How do you foresee the world coming together to solve this plastic problem?

Click here if you're ready to check out Day 2's inventory where I also learn about the impact of social gatherings. 

Comments