What is Plastic May Never Die: Day 2 (Plastic-free at Social Gatherings)


Parties and gatherings are in abundance, and celebration and joy is in the air. The summer signs are out and about with their loved ones as they finish another trip around the sun.

Smoky corn on the cob, grilled shish kabobs, and iced fruit-of-the-month coolers are synonymous with summers, and Labor Day weekend is no different. It's generally the final huzzah before summer ends and school begins in SoCal.

As you contemplate how much of your life can be plastic-free, you might be wondering what else you can reduce or eliminate in your home and daily life. But what happens when you attend a party, a BBQ, a music festival?

WYOD: WASH YOUR OWN DISHES? 

The caveat that comes with throwing parties is the amount of plateware you'd have to get for your guests. Plates, bowls, cups, and utensils are a few non-negotiables at a BBQ, especially one with this menu (below). I was conflicted because a) I felt uncomfortable buying so much plasticware (I was at Costco where the minimum was 100 plates per bag!), and b) I really didn't like spending the money on things that were just going to be trashed, and add more trash to the overloaded dumpsters). I resolved to visit my neighborhood Goodwill where I found two sets of plates (one polka dot, one alternating stripes). I also found a few serving plates and bowls for our dishes, and a set of drinking glasses that we now use in our home. All was good in the world! I had a lot of utensils at home, because we were gifted them by my mom and my sister when we moved in.

I've been out of state, away from my family for the past six years, so it was refreshing to throw a party for them. Our apt complex offers a clubhouse by reservation, and it was huge! A full kitchen with plenty of seating and tables, and even a pool table to boot! 

Steamed clams, raw and grilled oysters, Korean marinated short ribs, chicken wings, sweet corn (Trader Joe's had an amazing sale - 29 cents per corn!), homemade guacamole and salsa, and kimchi graced our tables, and we munched all day with bliss and gratitude.  

Reusable? Check.
Sustainable? Check.
Affordable? Check!
Delicious? Double-check!

My family members all pitched in, and took turns cleaning dishes or setting up food. It was nice not having so much trash at the end of the night. And, I have plateware I can use for guests anytime they come over. I enjoy hosting and cooking food for the people I love, and being able to provide that AND not contribute unneccesary waste OR spend extra money on plateware every time? CHA-CHING!

HOW TO STAY PLASTIC-FREE AT SOCIAL EVENTS

Attending a party can be challenging because you don't want to add trash, but you also don't have anything to eat or drink with. Beth Terry invites readers to consider carrying around a set of utensils when traveling. (My younger sister did this at the county fair, and I was impressed!) No need to do a store run or 1-click Amazon - check your kitchen first. You most likely can use something there.

Try to overcome the tug of consumerism, of the I-NEED-IT-NOW-feeling (so many times I browsed Amazon for reusable bamboo utensils). One of the best things you can do when you want to go plastic-free or zero-waste is to use what you already have. You see, I didn't NEED those bamboo utensils, because I already had forks and spoons at home (no matter how cute they looked in their carrying case!). If you absolutely don't have something or simply need a replacement, challenge yourself to see if you can find the most sustainable option, whether it's purchasing reusable silicone baggies from companies that offer 100% plastic-free packaging (they're great for sous-vide too!), or asking your friends or family if they want to unload anything, or even checking your local thrift store for some unique finds.

ideal zero-waste kit for on the go
What's in your ideal zero-waste kit?

When we lived in Brooklyn, we lived in a place where stores weren't easily accessible on foot. We ended up buying a LOT on Amazon, and the amount of packaging and cardboard was really concerning! In that time, convenience was king, where delivery was readily available 24 hours, and you can have fresh squeezed orange juice and a bagel delivered to your front door. For many New Yorkers, this is a way of life. But see, New York City is also overflowing with garbage. For a city that's placed so high on a pedestal, its cleanliness is sub-par, and which often left me wondering what was so great about it. The plastic tumbleweeds were never truer than there.

A SOLUTION  

When I was a teacher, I often brought my lunch to work. I finished my collection of plastic utensils (even when I click on the "don't bring me utensils" box when ordering out, I still end up getting them 🤷 anyone else?), and started bringing forks, and just washed them with the tupperware I used to house my lunch. I wasn't perfect though, and forgot sometimes. Luckily, there was always an extra in the break room. Now, my next step is to eliminate my need for paper towels, or at least reduce the use. 

Having a small bag or kit with all of your reusable products could serve as home base. It'll be readily available to throw in your backpack, car, tote, what have you. What would be in yours? Is there something missing that should be on it?

Confession, I don't have all of these items yet, so don't feel guilty you aren't bringing your own produce bags to the store. Take one bullet point at a time until you create a habit out of bringing your grocery bags with you everywhere, or carrying your plastic-free water bottle everywhere.


START WHERE YOU ARE 

So what do you do when you're invited to a gathering? Would you bring your own plateware? There would definitely be some eyes, but I foresee this being normalized as people continue waking up to this current reality. People are no longer staying in the dark. Awareness is rising with a force of nature.

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop - Confucius
Begin where you are.
When I went to the baby shower, I was really wishing I'd brought reusable ware, but I remember Terry had said to live life normally during your first week, because you're observing your everyday habits so that you can make any adjustmests. Day 1's inventory was very different from Day 2's. An example would be when I noticed I'd gotten a 32-pack of Gatorade bottle that it would've been better if I'd gotten it in powder form. Our Nalgene bottle melted, so I'm on the hunt for two plastic-free reusable water bottles. I want it to be as plastic-free as possible, and have the ability to hold both cold and hot beverages. It looks like Klean Kanteen might make an appearance again, but the price is a bit hefty right now. It's okay though. One step at a time. We'll get there! Without further ado...

DAY TWO'S INVENTORY

Plastic contents from attending a baby shower on day two of the Plastic Truth, and I racked up quite a bit of plastic.
  • 2 contact lens (dailies)
  • 1 7 Leaves drink (cup and lid, no straw thanks to my Eco-Pal!)
  • styrofoam withplastic wrap of family-sized raw chicken breasts
  • a plastic cover that came with a baby shower card
  • a Target giftcard
  • plastic cup from a baby shower gathering
  • 3 beer bottles 
  • 1 shot-sized plastic red cup (Solo) (washed and reused by bartenders)
  • 1 beer can
  • 2 bags of pet waste
REFLECTION

It's incredibly convenient to purchase disposable plate and drinkware. I'd almost given in at Costco. The burden of cleaning the reusable ones is heavy and a lot of physical work and logistics, but consider the price we are paying for convenience. For same-day delivery. For international next-day air. So much fossil fuels being drilled and sucked out of our earth's core, these non-renewable sources that are being drained at rates the world cannot keep up with.

Our health has been in decline, and National Geographic headlines, "You Eat Thousands of Bits of Plastic Every Year". We eat seafood that's consumed plastics in the ocean, or breathe it in (yes, it's in the air), or consume food that's been in contact with plastic or have microplastics on them, simply from being on the dinner table.

WHAT'RE YOU FEELING CALLED TO DO?

As I make my way through the book, I can't help but feel hopeless. Depleted.

I know I just read the hard parts, and soon I'll learn about solutions and take action on my part.

Action generates change. You must DO something (or do LESS of something - the act of not acting) if change is to take place.

California Coastal Cleanup Day 2019
Last year, 60k people cleaned the beaches. Let's raise the 2019 numbers!
With that in mind, I signed up for California Coastal Clean-up Day on September 21, 2019, where there'll be thousands of other events hosted for this day of caring for our environment. Check Meetup.com or Google "National Clean Up Day" to find an event near you.

If there isn't one yet, consider checking the website of your nearest beach / water source to find out if you could host one. Rally a few of your friends together. BYOB (bring your own bucket/bag to eliminate the need to buy). Spread the word on Craigslist, Facebook, Instagram, email your friends and family, and hit up local businesses depending on how much time you have.

Something is better than nothing. So even if you don't get to do all of these, the act of doing community service is enough. We are humans after all, so we can only do so much at the end of the day.

How about you? Are you onboard? Is there an event that you'd like to go to? Or one you wish existed? What's holding you back, if anything? Let me know in the comments below! 

Comments