What is Plastic May Never Die: Day 3 (Facts about Plastics)

game of thrones what is dead may never die
GoT Fan?
Why this sudden interest in plastic, you ask? Once you learn about the impacts and lifespan of plastic, you can't help but look at everything around you. I mean, really look. From the laptop that I'm typing on, to my testy fridge with plastic parts that I'm trying to fix so we don't have to throw it away and get a new one, to the sippy lid of a reusable bottle, even to the toggle pincher for my hiking shoes.

But...what IS plastic? And why DOESN'T it biograde? Doesn't it come from fossil fuels which are natural resources?

FACTS ABOUT PLASTIC
Valid questions!! Beth Terry gives in-depth history and evolution of plastic that I've summed up below.
facts about plastics from Beth Terry's Plastic-Free
Facts about Plastics from Beth Terry's Plastic-Free

If you're still skeptical about the influences of plastic, consider reading more about the toxic chemicals that are found in the plastics that surround us. I worry about my little niece who's only two and a half. What kind of world is waiting for her at the age of 16, 25, 50? It's no secret that kids are reaching puberty at earlier ages, girls as young as 7, which is W-I-L-D to me.

IMPACT ON CHILD DEVELOPMENT
Science contributes it to many factors: nutrition, environment, stress.

As Americans, the way we eat has changed dramatically in recent years. When I was growing up, my parents didn't have much money, and so we did what any other first-generation Asian-American family did. We carted home boxes of Hot Cheetos, an endless supply of instant noodles, and microwavable Hot Pockets from Costco so we could feed ourselves while our parents worked all day and night.

Fruits? Vegetables? What were those? These artificial choices led my body to craving Hot Cheetos randomly in my late 20s now that I'm trying to kick the MSG addiction. (I've managed to overcome my cravings for them since I turned the big 3-0, which was only four months ago.) Americans are rolling themselves towards an obesity epidemic.

How does stress play into early development? You see, the young brain processes trauma, psychological and/or medical problems as low threats, which triggers the growing brain to start reproduction immediately. It's a flight-or-fight response.

And finally, we must also consider the environmental impact on the human body. Hormone-stuffed chickens, cows, and pigs produce hormone-filled products that we consume, which brings me to another point.

SOCIOECONOMIC IMPACT OF PLASTIC
Let's consider the socioeconomic aspect of this blasted equation. As many as 15% of young girls have breast development by the age of 7. I'll let that sink in.

A study revealed, "These rates are higher for girls of African-American and Hispanic descent when compared to Asian and Caucasian girls. And it turns out that periods probably are not starting earlier; rather puberty may be taking a longer time."

Why do you think the rate is higher for girls of African-American and Hispanic descent? Historically, these populations tend to come from low-income neighborhoods where clean and fresh groceries aren't as accessible. My theory is that Asians generally tend to settle down in their respective communities (my family certainly did), with access to Asian supermarkets. Does that guarantee clean produce? Not at all. But at least there were some available. They weren't as exposed as say, in NYC.

YAH, LEMME GET A BACONEGGNCHEESE?

I used to work in a low-income neighborhood in Brooklyn, where there isn't a grocery store for miles. Bodegas and delis found on every corner though. You know what they sold in those corner stores? 50-cent bags of chips. One dollar for a ripoff version of cola or sprite. Bacon-egg-cheese on low-quality white bread rolls doused with ketchup-mayo for two dollars. My students often drank bottled drinks that were blue, neon green, and pee-yellow. Is it better to have a cheap breakfast or to go hungry? Because guess what, low-income families struggle financially. Kids don't have enough lunch money to buy a nutritious breakfast, or aren't encouraged to consume.

I mean, we can't look at this objectively, and wonder why in the heck is this happening to us? Touch the fire, and wonder why we are getting burnt?

This post isn't written to blame the parents or blame the consumers. To a certain extent, we are products of our environments. The only difference is now we're armed with knowledge, and we have a choice. We can choose to continue living a life centered around plastic, or we can be mindful of the products and companies we support. We can educate others and inspire small, important changes.

Start with yourself. Then, tell your partner or your friends about what you've learned. Talk to like-minded individuals. My husband tells me I can't save the world. Maybe not. But at least I have the power to change MY world. And that's enough for me right now. Onwards to day three's contents.

DAY 3'S INVENTORY
- plastic bag that came with new pillow
- abandoned light switch cover (was before our move-in but I guess I'll take responsibility for it?)
- light day plastic wrap
- plastic hanger for sports bra + plastic tag
- kitchen garbage bag tossed
- 2 dailies
- 2 pet waste bags
- floss

REFLECTION
Well, taking a look at the past three days, I think I can definitely reduce my use of bags for pet waste. I can't WAIT to finish this current box I have, and get some compostable ones or ones that biodegrade. Elsie is a strange one...sometimes she'll walk for 20 minutes, and other times, a quick visit outside is all she needs. On those long walks, she goes a few times. Should I...hold onto the bag until the walk's officially over and see how much I can fill up one bag? That's something I'll have to try on our next morning walk.

I used to use a lot of paper/plastic hygenic products like dailies. Wow, did I use a lot, changing as much as five times a day. It's hard for me to digest the amount of products I disposed. Now I use leak-proof underwear, and wow, they're amazing. I can't wait to get some more so I can wear them everyday! They're made of bamboo, while remaining soft and comfortable. Can't stress how great they are. I just throw them in with my laundry and there's no evidence that I even had my monthly flow.



Do any of these stats raise your awareness or concern, or maybe just your eyebrows? What lingering question or curiosity do you still have? Let me know in the comments below!


Comments