WIPMND: Day 7 and Lifestyle Changes

A refrigerator almost ended our marriage.

Okay, that's an exaggeration but seriously? Things were tense. You could use a butter knife to cut the air. Like a nicely charred, medium-rare, tender filet mignon. Butter-smooth.

But our air? It was stuffed with chaotic energy violently boiling in a covered pot. Keep all sharp objects away please!

A little backstory. We had just signed a one-year lease after apartment hunting for three weeks - an ordeal unto itself- while spending those three weeks at my parents' place. We played the waiting game for the next two weeks until the good news finally came!

Then, the realization of moving into an unfurnished apartment kicked in. What furniture will we buy? And how since neither of us were working? We had to choose where to cut back and where to splurge. The husband pushed for a new TV (don't even get me started on this). I pushed for us to buy a used fridge. I was confident I could find a trustworthy buy (somehow). 

We spent a whopping $150 for a used GE fridge sold by a stranger on Offerup.com. Things were going okay until the fridge stopped cooling. Fudge.

"There's no way we're buying a new fridge!" I shouted as I peered and huffed and puffed over the fridge, clicking all buttons, unplugging and plugging the cord, resetting the breakers, hoping, wishing, praying that something would fix it. 

"Well, what did you expect having paid only $150?" my husband countered, pacing back and forth behind me, wondering what the heck I was doing. 

Through my clenched jaw and aggressive pointing came the words, "We are fixing this fridge, one way or another."

It took a few online searches and my amazing brother-in-law to diagnose the problem: a broken fan. Turns out, this is the second most common issue with GE refrigerators. 

A quick purchase from appliancepartspro.com revived our 2014 used fridge. My husband replaced the part, and ta-da! Our fridge is now better than before. The same could be said for our marriage. 

The best part was when he said, "Thank you for forcing me to fix this." See? Stubborness pays off sometimes! 😉
Perseverance is stubborness with a purpose. Josh Shipp
A purpose to reduce waste!
Truth is, there was another driving factor more crucial to me than money: the environment. After reading Plastic-Free and encountering more and more related content, I felt I was betraying myself and Mother Earth by giving in to a new appliance without trying all solutions possible. Giving up easily wasn't in my nature!

Whtat's more, a deep sinking feeling would fill the pit of my stomach every time I imagined the refrigerator being hauled to the dumpster and then to the landfill. Just sitting and rusting away for years and years with all sorts of Wall-Es roaming around. 

LIFESTYLE CHANGES

There's two routes you can take when you learn something new: You can commit to making changes for the better of humankind, or you can continue doing the same things, eating the same foods, following the same habits that don't allow your potential to unleash, and wile away wondering why your life isn't going the way you envisioned.

Choose the former. Choose to be aware, to be conscious, and to be present. Be forewarned, it takes hard work and effort every day for the rest of your life. Even though it requires a lot of energy and dedication, I'd rather keep working on this, than to live blindly and aimlessly without passion and truth as my beacons.

To wrap up the final post in this 7-day series, here are some things that's changed for me since cracking open the plastic-free book.
  • no plastic food storage baggies 
  • invested in food-grade silicone bags (Stasherbag and WOHOME on Amazon.com)
  • less take-away / food delivery
  • more dining-in or cooking at home
  • less imported products
  • more locally-grown / -made products
  • AKA more farmers' markets!
  • more label-reading (scrutinizing)
  • more conversation around dangers of plastics 
  • positively impacting others to get on board (my husband who's the KING of convenience!, my friends all over US, my in-laws in Israel)
  • more reusing of plastic containers / glass jars
  • inheriting / shopping others' excesses or donations (thrift shopping)
  • sharing my experiences and plastic-free strategies with my Instagram community
  • eager to bring my own reusable drinkware (not just the water bottle, but a glass mug with a straw, and more Hydroflasks!)
  • shopping / perusing local farmers markets
  • less online shopping (looking at you Amazon!)
  • read and sort recyclables based on number in arrows
  • drop off recyclables at local recycling center (whoo hoo! Taking my bottle deposits back!)
As I've said before, when I lived in Brooklyn, we were constantly ordering things off Amazon. Now that I'm able to drive, I'm more inclined to look for things in stores. Maybe to offset the carbon emissions? Well in this regard,  even though I'm using gas to drive, I'm reducing my use of packaging material, which is preferable. I hate it when I open a package and tons of wrapping bubbles, styrofoam, plastic packaging that come with my item. That only contributes to more waste.

Moreover, I bring my reusable bags (or carry it out by hand), and today, I bought produce for the first time without using any plastic produce bags. (I am looking for some produce bags that are made in the States, hopefully locally made! I'm trying to refrain from purchasing something that's made halfway across the world. I'm also trying to stay away from bees-wax paper, because bees!)

FEEDBACK

I think one of the most rewarding thing for me has been the number of people who've reached out to me regarding their experiences with plastics. They tell me they're inspired to make some changes, or that they're proud of me for undergoing this transformation (trust, it's not easy!). They think twice before buying or using plastic, which is a great start. Being more mindful of what you consume is pivotal to making changes. After all, if you're not aware of what you're doing, how would you know what to change or improve? 

As you continue on your plastic revelation and journey, remember that it's important to keep doing what you're doing even if you feel like a weirdo, because honestly, you never know who you may be inspiring. Maybe the woman behind you who sees your reusable produce bags, and decides it's time to make that change. Or your coworker who's always rushing during his lunchtime to drive and buy outside food and sees you bringing your lunchbag and decides to bring lunch from home in his reusable lunchbag. Smart for the wallet, the environment, and the waistline! Trust that the energy you've used and created will reverberate across the world. Or at the very least, *your* world! 

MAIN TAKEAWAYS

Whenever I undergo an experiment, my primary thought is how much I'll learn about that project or topic. In addition to that, I learn more about myself and my role / influence on society. I'm starting to understand the mind-body-nature connection. I've always had empathy for earth and animal species, but it's intensified now that my emotions are backed by evidence of the impact that plastic has on the environment. 

I've learned that I can definitely do without a lot of things that are convenient. It's remarkably easy and yet difficult. The difficult part for me is finding alternatives. Beth Terry also wrote about this in her guide.

The easy part was the motivation. Yes, I wanted to reduce as much waste as possible. Yes, I care about the environment, and yes, I believe with my wallet, I can sway businesses to make empowering choices for our future. Finding or creating alternatives require a little extra oomph, but I'm very resourceful. A real MacGyver, as someone once called me. I do love MacGyve-ing things.

What takeaways do you have so far? What's motivating (or de-motivating) you? Anything that you're wondering about or unsure of? Any lingering thoughts? Let me know in the comments below! 

DAY 7'S INVENTORY
  • Deli meat plastic wrapper
  • Mayo container
  • jar of Djion mustard
  • two small Gatorade bottles
  • 2 daily contacts
  • Qtips
REFLECTION

I think the best ecofriendly thing I can do is get lasik eye surgery. So tired of these daily contact lenses, and if I return to glasses, they'll conflict with my hearing aid since I decided to buy ones that go over the ear, instead of just inside. Minor issues in the grand scheme of things, however, important details that'll impact the quality of my daily life. 

Something else that was born out of this experiment is the fact that my husband now gets a container of Gatorade powder and uses a Blender Bottle to mix it up. We no longer buy the small bottles! That's great for my wallet, earth, and plus, those dang bottle deposits! 
Local Beachside Recycling Center
my earnings @ my local recycling center


To take it one step further, I visited my local recycling center for the first time the other day! "It's my first time here" I exclaimed as I pulled up with my recyclables. It was empowering to make that choice. Some people don't have that choice, recycling for what it can give them, and some people don't realize the energy and money that goes into a trash pickup route. It's less than five minutes away from my apartment, which is really lucky. I'm sure there are some people who have to trek further! 

To sum, this experiment was an eye-opener, and if you haven't started yours, I strongly encourage you to! The main thing to keep in mind is to do what you can with what you have. Just try. That's all I'll ever ask of you. Don't force yourself to make too many changes; you might feel overwhelmed and relapse to your old habits. Take it step by step.

Learn from others - there's an abundance of resources and experiences online. Talk to other people! Not only the like-minded ones. Talk to those who aren't sold on the idea of living plastic-free. Aim to understand all perspectives while staying true to yours. Everyone is on a different path, and maybe one day, ours will intersect. And you can tell me about the great and not-so-great things that you've been doing. 

If you're still unsure on where to start, consider reading the first blog post in the series that started it all. Continue reading through the series at your own pace. Apply a one or two things from each post your daily life. Tell me your stories in the comments below. May the odds be ever in earth's favor! 

Comments