Appreciating the Small Spaces in Life: Chair Yoga Sequence

chair yoga: great for those with limited mobility, who want to practice sitting, or at their desk, who have space restrictions, or who prefer a gentle practice
Is chair yoga for you?
I like to believe that I'm someone who values efficiency. I'm also a person who can be lazy when it comes to my yoga routine. Sometimes, I just don't feel like standing! How about you? 🙋

Maybe you're like me: someone who stands on their feet all day at work. I'd rather be on my feet though, than sit in a chair for eight hours. I get restless pretty easily! However, there are days when my body yearns for a gentle flow. 

I turn to chair yoga when I find myself sitting for long periods of time (flights, car rides, working at home on the computer desk, watching TV), or when I've been out and about all day running errands, or just standing/walking more than usual. Indeed, when my knees are tired and achey, chair yoga is my remedy. 

BENEFITS OF CHAIR YOGA

One of the best things about chair yoga is that you can do it almost anywhere.

Doing just a few stretches is always better than doing none.

You can side stretch on the toilet. You can forward fold at your desk or in your lecture hall.

I encourage you to practice chair yoga during your next flight or road trip!

What're some unconventional yoga spaces where you've done or seen someone practiced chair yoga? 


CONTRAINDICATIONS


Of course, always exercise caution if you're restricted in the hip-area.

Sometimes, moving your hips is not a good idea like after having a surgery or after an injury. Definitely ask your physican or doctor for the go-ahead, especially if you're pregnant or post-natal! 

Doing things to take care of your body is the number one goal. It's okay to not practice yoga if it's going to harm more than help. Other options are deep-breathing exercises or meditation to help relieve stress and anxiety.

Here's a sequence I typically follow: it's short and simple. You can lengthen the time of your practice just by holding those poses for more rounds of breaths. You're also invited to add any other poses that your body needs: Always listen to your body. Your mind can be unreliable at times 😜.


I mean it in the sense that we sometimes tend to overexert ourselves: maybe we seek to prove something (to someone or to the self), we aren't mindful of what our body needs, or maybe we are being stubborn / dangerously determined. 

Consequently, we put our bodies in harm's way. It might be a muscle gets overstretched, and then we can't use it for the day, or the injured part becomes even more painful, further restricting our movement and delaying our progress to healing.

Sometimes, a form of self-care can be not doing any physical activity. Take advantage of these occasions. Always remember to use your judgement wisely. 

If you'd like to see this sequence in effect, I encourage you to check out the video series on my Instagram page, and if you like what you see, follow me @krystalinthestudio. I look forward to seeing you here more often! 

What's your perspective on chair yoga? How has it helped (or not helped) you? Is there a pose that *has* to be added to the sequence? Let me know your favorite chair pose in the comments below!

Comments