Shampoo Bars: Transitioning to a Plastic-Free, Zero-Waste Shower Routine

Shampoo bars: what is it, and how do you use it?
Ever wondered if a shampoo bar is for you? Read on to find out!
Sound bars. Yogurt bars. Dry bars.

Nowadays, the word "bar" connotes more than just boozy drinks, hazy memories, and blush-worthy moments.

Adding on to the list, shampoo bars are trending and for good reasons, although the practice of using packaging-free shampoo has been around for centuries, according to Green Queen.

Shampoo bars can be great alternatives to plastic-bottled ones. They are all-natural, conditioning shampoo in solid form. Depending on what kind of bar you use and what kind of water your shower has (soft vs. hard), you can nurse your hair to optimal health without any toxins, build-up, or residue. An ACV rinse *may* be beneficial as well. Keep on reading if you're wondering if one's needed!

SULFATES AND THEIR RELATIONSHIP WITH OUR HAIR 
*hint: it's a toxic one!

A while ago, I made the switch to sulfate-free ones after learning about the chemicals loaded in commercial shampoos and conditioners and how they impacted the health of my hair. Sulfates are salt that's reacted with another chemical: common sulfates found in shampoos are sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) and sodium laureth sulfate (SLES).

What we like about this is that sulfates are incredibly effective at cleaning the hair of grime and dead skin cells, however, they are equally effective at destroying your hair's natural oils, thereby, making your hair more brittle and dry. Indeed, too much of a good thing is bad. Studies have linked the use of sulfates to increased hair loss.

Consider this: If you shampoo your hair every day, you risk constantly stripping your hair of the opportunity to replenish its natural oils, which work to protect and condition your hair day and night. Did you know sulfates are so effective as cleaning agents that they are used in manufacturing and construction industries to clean and de-grease machinery?

WILL THIS METHOD WORK FOR ME?

Did you know that the average person is estimated to go through 800 bottles of shampoo during their lifetime?
Imagine how much plastic one can reduce
with this simple yet intentional switch!
It's important you understand how your hair works, because what works for me may not work for you and so on and so forth. We can experiment all we like, but at the end of the day, we need to pay attention to our body, and in this case, our hair to see what's really working and make any shifts.

Keep in mind that everything that I've done up until now required me to get to know my body better. For instance, I've accepted my hair profile is coarse and dry. It's stubborn as hell, and doesn't do well with heat styling and products.

Furthermore, I've experimented a little and learned that shampooing my hair every other day (the longer between washes the better) allows my hair to return to "normal".

Some hair care professionals recommend washing your hair every other day. Some people can go days without a wash or with the support of dry shampoo.  If you want to dive deeper into sulfates, read this post.

While I haven't ventured into this territory yet, I know of some who swear by the no-poo method. Again, it's all about experimenting, adjusting, and finding the best regimen for you and your lifestyle.

WHY PLASTIC-FREE SHAMPOOS

With new lifestyle guidelines that stemmed from my plastic-free journey, I decided to take my shower routine further. For instance, I've replaced our bottled body soaps with body bars. Indeed, in our bathroom and our kitchen, soap bars are housed in worn chipped ceramic dishes for washing hands and bodies.

Shampoo bars are great as an alternative to plastic bottles.  I've just taken the plunge on a shampoo bar made by Sea & Clean. Sure, I could've gone with a store that doesn't have to ship a product 3,000 miles, but I wanted to find a bar *for me*. On Etsy, there are so many options! Which essential oils, smell, etc. did I want? What did the reviews say? How much of the reviews can I trust to help me make a better decision?

Choices, choices, choices. So, I narrowed down to Sea&Clean because 1) ACV rinse, 2) natural ingredients, 3) generally positive reviews, 4) personal touches + care from seller. I paid for shipping so I felt okay ordering from Florida.

Benefits of shampoo bars
Yes, yes, yes!

I loved that: 

  • it's made of natural oils and ingredients
  • it's packaged as much as possible without using any plastic (tape counts as plastic)
  • I feel good using this product in the shower 
  • my purchase:
    • supports small businesses
    • eliminates waste consumption
    • reduces my dependence on plastic bottled-items
Furthermore, I purchased a stylish, marble tray to house my soap bars. This was definitely a want-buy, not a need-buy. I definitely could've gotten a used one. You can use any tray or whatever you want, but I wanted the aesthetics of a marble tray.

BUT, BUT, BUT, IT DOESN'T HAVE THE SUDS!

Contrary to popular belief, the suds of soaping comes from the sulfates' properties. We've been conditioned to believe that the more suds and lather there are, the better! 

However, we now know that yes, our hair is getting clean. But whoa, it's getting TOOOO clean. You strip your hair biome and risk disrupting its ability to moisturize, protect, and grow. (A biome is considered any habitat that sustains the flora and fauna that live within it.) Once it's disrupted, your cells are out of sync, and now must compensate in some way to rectify the biome.

HOW I USE MY SHAMPOO BAR

First, I wet my hair and lather the soap bar between my hands using water to soften it. After circulating the bar in my hands a few times, I replace it on the marble tray and massage my scalp. I'll repeat this a few times and leave the shampoo lather to soak while I wash my body with bar soap.

I'll also take this time to use my Origins face cleanser (the next thing to replace in my shower routine- once supply has run out of course!). Rinse everything off and that's it.

Well, actually, that's not it! 

As you may or may not know, the hardness of your shower water also impacts your hair health! To reap the entire benefits of using a shampoo bar, rinsing with soft water is preferable over hard water. Soft water is comparable to rain water: Where I live, only hard water is available.

That means minerals like chlorine are being run through my hair and on my body as I shower. Hard water dries our hair and skin out faster than soft water. It's like using chlorinated pool water to shower. So imagine how thirsty your skin and hair is! Thirstier than Samantha Jones and Fleet Week. Thirstier than my dog after drinking gallons of saltwater. Thirstier than your snake plant after you've forgotten to water it for months. Thirstier than...well, you get the idea!

If your shower uses hard water, consider investing in a shower head filter. I just purchased this and will be using it in conjunction with the shampoo bar, a weekly ACV rinse, and a DIY Leave-in conditioner. Stay tuned for my experience!

And finally, shampoo bars are notorious for lasting months, which will allow you to save a little when it comes to your shower routine. Moreover, since I don't need to buy a conditioner since I'm now making everything in-house, my wallet wins too!

How about you? Have you tried using shampoo bars before? Would you consider trying one out? What're some ways you've reduced or eliminated plastics in your shower regime? 

Comments