How I Kaizen Our Grocery Shopping Habits (and Reduce Our Plastic Waste)



a collection of my bags

Call me Bag Lady!

In a world of bizarre superpowers, that would be mine.

Supermarket, retail store, or the farmer’s market, the millisecond you think, “Oh boy! I wish I had a bag!”

FLASH! I'd be at your side with an array of bags.

When the cashier asks if you'd like to purchase plastic bags,

ZING! I got you. What size?

Reaching for the disposable produce bags (mine and the world’s nemesis)?

WHOOSH! Right there with some reusable, cotton produce bags, like ECOBAGS

Can you tell I’m passionate about the habit of reusable bags?

reusable bags folded and stacked
ECOBAGS on the right
WE EAT HOW MUCH PLASTIC PER WEEK?

The plastic industry has taken advantage of the pandemic and stigmatized reusable products. In March 2020, PLASTICS claimed, “plastic bags are safer because germs live on reusable bags and other substances,” however, studies later revealed that the coronavirus lived longer on plastics, than it does on cardboard and copper. (source1)

In an effort to save the oil industry when oil prices were low since no one was driving during the pandemic, PLASTICS and other oil supporters advocated for the use of single-use plastics, such as disposable masks, shields, and take-out containers. Also, new plastic is apparently cheaper to make than recycled plastic (again, due to the low oil prices during the lockdowns). (source2)

Not only does plastic disrupt our endocrine system and fudges with our hormone production, it also clogs pipes and overwhelms landfills. (source 3)

It takes approx. 1000 years for plastic to break down, and even when it does, the toxins from plastic leach and harms our environment and species. 

Here's a great infographic on the life cycle of plastic bags.

You can also watch Emma Bryce’s and Sharon Colman’s animated TedTalk here on the life cycle of a plastic bottle.

Cultivating the habit of bringing a reusable bottle or bags is one thing. It's another thing to bring reusable produce bags! I know! I hear you, and I understand. Sometimes it's just convenient to get a single-use plastic bottle or produce bag.

But what is the price we pay for convenience? 

  • excessive waste for generations
  • negative environmental impact
  • more CO2 in the atmosphere and oceans
  • rising sea level
  • oil & plastic industries flourish
and oh yeah! 

  • we consume the equivalent of a credit card of plastic PER WEEK! (source 4)

GIFT THAT KEEPS ON GIVING

A set of 3 reusable cotton produce bags costs $13.78.

Even better, it’s the gift that keeps on giving. Plus, ECOBAGS is woman-owned and Certified B!

I can’t tell you how much joy it brings me when my spouse and I bring our reusable produce bags to the store.

It took us a while to take that plunge, but it’s all about awareness and making a conscious effort to improve our current reality with the power of our wallet.

Going back to this idea of conscious consumerism, that is, our buying practices are driven by a commitment that yield positive social, economic, and environmental impact, you determine the success of certain organizations and businesses with your purchasing power.

The question becomes, who do you want to see succeed? Is it the plastic and oil industry who are polluting our earth by any means necessary? Or, is it the smaller ones who strive for sustainability, animal welfare, and fair wages? 

I care deeply about the impact of choices and actions, and I wish I could help others see how theirs impact their wellbeing and the world. I can’t force people to change (I’ve learned to stop doing that. Sort of.)

However, I can lead by example. As any leader worth their salt knows, you need to model the behavior you want to see in the world. 

My hope, my dream, my wish is that you’ll join me on the sustainable side with reusable produce bags!

HOW TO KAIZEN YOUR GROCERY SHOPPING HABITS

produce neatly sitting in the cart

I encourage you to:

1. stick to 100% cotton/muslin cotton (buying the plastic ones is still using plastic and will probably break down at some point)

*Sustainable bonus points: buy from small businesses and avoid buying off Amazon! 

2. buy several sizes and multiples so you don’t run out at the store

3. make a plan to wash them by hand or by machine as soon as you get home

4. notice how much happier you feel using your own reusable produce bags 😊

5. tell your friends and family!

HYGIENE + TIPS

I wash my reusable produce bags after every trip: sometimes by hand, sometimes by machine. Depends on how I feel.

Honestly, I wash my reusable bags once every two weeks or so. We always bag our groceries, even before COVID-19, so no one is touching our bags. I carry them in one large bag on my shoulder and rarely put it in the cart unless I know they’re being sanitized.

A good practice (and perhaps something I can adopt myself now that I'm writing about it) is to wash them after every use. If they're recycled plastic (polypropylene), hand wash with soap and line dry. 

Heat + plastic = no good!

Once you make the switch, you’ll wish you did it sooner! I sure did.

Now, the next thing is to remember to bring them with you whenever you shop. I hope you're bringing reusable bags already, but if you're not, I'd leave them in my car. If I *truly* forget, I'll just carry them with me like I do my wallet and shopping list. (Wait, you have a shopping list right?)

Habits can be hard to cultivate. 

Practice self-compassion if you do forget.

Make a commitment to doing better the next time (re-commit as often as needed).

In a sustainable world, what would your superpower be? What is one thing you can do right now (or tomorrow) as a conscious consumer? Would you consider getting reusable produce bags? Why or why not? Let's have an open dialogue in the comments below. 

Bises, 

Krystal

 *This post is written from the bottom of my heart and I receive no earnings should you choose to purchase ECOBAGS.

What I WILL get, however, is joy knowing that you're making a conscious choice for the greater good! 


 

Comments